Thursday, November 14, 2013

Thanksgiving Plays

     



      During my fourth year of teaching, I saw two Thanksgiving Plays in a teacher resource book.  I immediately copied them, passed them out, and told the students to memorize their lines.  At that time, it didn't even occur to me to tell them to wear costumes.  My-oh-my.... times have changed!

      Over the years, I've made many changes to my Thanksgiving Plays.  At one point, I decided to create my own plays based on those "original" two plays.  I've added different parts to fit the size of my class.  I've added a little humor.  I've added costumes.  I've added props.  

      Every year gets a little better.  I pass out the plays the day after Halloween.  Everyone has at least three lines.  The students are told to memorize their plays.  Students are told to wear costumes.  (I've actually had quite a few costumes donated over the years, so I happily pass those out to the students that need them.)  Parents and families are invited to watch the performances.  I also invite my administration to view the plays.  It really is quite impressive if I do say so myself.








       

No comments:

Post a Comment