Friday, November 15, 2013

Keep in touch with PARENTS!

As a mom, I absolutely love it when my children's teachers keep me informed of what is going on in their classroom.  The more reminders the better because let's face it- we're busy people and sometimes forget things.

Here is a list of ways I keep my parents updated.  I promise it's not as hard and time consuming as it looks.

1.  EMAIL
At the beginning of the year, parents fill out a form with important information.  This includes an email address for mom and dad.  (Click here to grab this FREEBIE.)  I send out email updates about two or three times a week.  I admit that seems like a lot, but again I feel like parents need a lot of reminders.

2.  Weekly Newsletters
I send home a newsletter every week with important announcements, as well as a joke, free app, and weekly website.  (Click here to view an example of my newsletter.)

3.  Keep an updated website.
I try very hard to update my website once a week.  I upload my weekly homework plan, as well as my newsletters, study guides, and school announcements.  If you don't have access to create a class website through your school, then try out Weebly or Shutterfly.  

4.  Twitter
I created a Twitter account this year for my parents and students.  I absolutely LOVE it!  It's easy and fun.  I also try very hard to only send out NEW information via Twitter.  That means I put stuff on Twitter that I do NOT send in an email or mention in my newsletter.

5.  Text Messages
I signed up at Remind101 this year and think it's absolutely fantastic!  Parents can receive FREE text messages about things going on in your classroom.  Again, I try to ONLY send out NEW information via text.  My goal is for a  parent to sign up for email, twitter, and text messages.  Therefore, I try not to duplicate the information I send out.

6.  Blog
I created a class blog that I try to update with pictures of things that happen in our class.  I want this year's students to start visiting it on a weekly basis, so I've started posting questions for them to answer.  (Click here to check it out.)



No comments:

Post a Comment